The Brazilian Rafael Leitão learned to play chess at the age of six and built a successful career on the chessboard. He is currently the Brazilian Champion and the number 1 player in the country according to the FIDE rating list.
At the age of 18, he became the youngest Brazilian to achieve the title of Grandmaster. His main achievements are:
- World Champion U-12 in 1991
- World Champion U-18 in 1996
- 8 times Pan-American champion
- 7 times Brazilian Champion
- Silver medalist (3rd board) at the Chess Olympiad 2006
- 3rd place at the Correspondence World Championship 2012. This result granted him the title Correspondence Grandmaster, becoming one of the few players with the title of GM in both correspondence and over the board chess.